Saturday, May 27, 2006

Someday your Prince really will come: Too Close for Comfort (Part 2)


The Prince was walking toward me, so I exited the bus. Have you ever experienced an invasion of your privacy or private (personal) space? In the U.S., we like to speak at arms distance, unless we invite someone into our more intimate space. The Prince came toward me and stopped when we were toe-to-toe. I was totally out of my comfort zone. Firstly, I had no idea how to even address a Prince. Secondly, the Prince was inside my personal space and I was very cognizant of the fact. As we stood toe-to-toe the Prince looked me over. After some silence, silence wasn’t golden in this instance. The Prince finally asked me, “What took place?” “What Happened?” “How long did it take?” To make me even more self conscious, the Prince’s nose was extremely close to my mouth, as if smelling my breath. All I could think about was “What did I have for lunch,” and “Is my breath offensive.” I was feeling a little intimidated and afraid to speak, let alone breathe on the Prince, but somehow I managed to explain the situation.

After explaining, the Prince stood there for what seemed an eternity. My breath and my stare were totally exposed. After what seemed like an eternity, the Prince finally extended an invitation to come back to the plane and sit with him, when I got off work. I accepted the invitation, thinking to myself, “Oh crap, what do I do now?”

(To be continued in part 3)

No comments: